Miyerkules, Setyembre 20, 2017

IN MOMENTS OF BLISS - 7

©Mallari 2017
written by Rolando Q. Mallari, MD

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. The characters, the storyline, the location are all culled from the imagination. Any similarity to real life and place are purely coincidental.

VII

The heart knows things the mind doesn’t understand



At the time of the presentation of Dr. Zandico deep inside me, I was hoping Joey was watching. I looked around the delegates seated and he was nowhere to be found. I looked at the waiters serving trying to find his face but to no avail. Dr. Zandico's presentation was well received. In the afternoon I made my presentation of how I copped with my situation. From a person that had a new face to a person who did not know herself and to top it all becoming a mother at that. I also discussed the post-amnesia scenario. While delivering my lecture I was hoping that Joey was in the hall. I would like him to understand what I went through. If I have the empathy of these people all over the world, why can't the man I love? I felt emptiness when I did not see Joey around. 

Although Joey did not attend, I was still full of hope because Jeremy invited him for dinner. But alas, Joey did not show up. I was frustrated but did not show my disgust in front of Jeremy. I was wondering why Jeremy did not care a bit. But I brushed that all aside because of the emotional pain I was going through.  Joey would never know who really I am and it is an illusion on my part to think that he will fall in love with me the way he fell in love with me before. 

Jeremy and I were quiet. After the dinner we went directly to our beds. I did sulk at the seeming nothingness of the situation. But I intellectualized that we went to Guam not for him. But since the situations point for us to meet each other it is a plus point so I told myself, no expectations. 

I placed the alarm clock at 4:30AM as I plan to do some exercises like I did before. Guam is a tourist paradise - a nature's gift. When I woke up, Jeremy also stood up but I told him to get back to bed. I told him I will be back just in time for breakfast. I rented a bicycle from the fitness club of the hotel the night before. It would take me around 15 minutes to the JFK Running Course in Tumon. 

The surrounding was still dark but there is haze in the sky. The Waze application was very helpful in giving me directions. I reached the JFK course in exactly 10 minutes. I parked my bicycle at the area intended and I saw a bicycle parked already there. Memories of 11 years ago just flashed in my mind. 

I stood up and made a dash on the track oval. I saw someone jogging counter to my route and when we get to meet face to face, he greeted me and I was surprised it was Joey. I stopped and confronted him

Me: Why are you following me? 
Joey: Following you? I arrived at the oval first. 
Me: Ok you arrived at the oval first. But how would you explain your presence at the hotel? You even interacted with my son. 
Joey: Oh that one? I have some immigration job at the hotel. Come let's run! 

There was an eerie silence between us but we ran together. Then Joey started talking.

Joey: Eleven years ago, I met a girl at an athletic oval in the Philippines. She was a member of the volleyball team. She was tall like you. She was agile like you. She runs like a gazelle like you. But she was every inch so beautiful to me.
And I fell in love with her. But in the most precarious time of our relationship she disappeared. I had a lot of questions that were left unanswered. I cried and I carried that burden through the years. 

Joey stopped and he looked at me. We stared with each other. All of a sudden Joey said: 

Joey: Now I know what happened. Throughout those years, my love never changed. She may not look like the way she was before and I may not recognize her. But the heart knows things that the mind can't explain. When I first met you at the immigration, I felt that there was connection between us that I could not explain. I listened to my heart and it says you are my Siglat....

He called me by the name I am known in the volleyball team. It means agile. My tears started to flow and we embraced with each other. 

Joey: I am so sorry. I should have been there when you needed me most. 

Joey looked at me.  And he kissed me and that kiss erased the 11 years of despair. 

Me: You were there at the symposium? 

Joey nodded and smiled. 

Joey: I was the one with a mask. You even smiled at me. 

I tapped his shoulder in disbelief. I told him Jeremy would be happy to know his father. 

Joey: He already knew. He planned this meeting. Joey laughed. We had luncheon together yesterday and I talked to him. My absence during dinner is all but planned. 

Me: You are both bad boys. 

Then I saw Jeremy joining us in the oval and we had a tight embrace the three of us together. The sun has finally risen into the horizon, we walked to the bicycle stand and we looked at each other. Jeremy was clinging to his father trying to make up for the lost years. I had the same feeling too. 

It was a new day - a beautiful day indeed. 










Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

ARINGAY TOURISM WEBSITE TESTING

We are presently testing the Aringay Tourism Website. Please visit and we appreciate your comments. https://aringaytourism.site123.me