Martes, Setyembre 19, 2017

IN MOMENTS OF BLISS - 1

©Mallari 2017

written by Rolando Q. Mallari, MD

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. The characters, the story line, and the location are all culled from the imagination. Any similarity to real life and place are purely coincidental.

CHAPTER I


He came like a dream




It was a dreary Saturday dawn on a December morning. I wanted to curl under the thick blanket but the clock alarmed the third time. I stood up in disarray - half-awake and giddy. I reached the wall where the light switch was located as I moved my fingers a soft click emanated and the room was bathed with light and I was temporarily blinded by flashes of light. I was tempted to jump back to the bed but managed to pull my bathroom towel placed over the side of the chair. I walked slowly towards the bathroom door trying to ward off the heaviness. I turned on the bathroom lights and this time I was already adapted to it. I looked at myself in the mirror as I slowly removed my clothes. I gave out a wry smile. I placed the shower mode to warm and went under the cascading waters. I felt a jolt into my system. It is as if this is what I needed to perk me up. My succeeding actions were fast and they seemed synchronized in just seconds. I was already in athletic attire and was closing the door of my room towards the outside. 

I looked at my watch! It was 4:30 in the morning.  It was daybreak. The grasses were moist from the morning dew. The wisp of the December air gave me a sudden chill. I decided to hop in to my bicycle and turned on its front light. I thought I saw some interplay of rainbow colors before it gave out its yellow hues. I pedaled with initial difficulty. I felt the rush of adrenaline after a few strides. The heat created by my physical exertion collided with the cool air. Oh what a great feeling! In 10 to 15 minutes I was at the La Union High School Athletic oval where the volleyball team of the province conduct their exercises prior to their training practices. 

It was a fast ride. I took a two-lap ride around the oval before I parked my bicycle. It seemed like a dreary morning. I saw two souls doing the customary two-round jogs around the 400-meter oval. I started to jog. The two runners were apart from each other. It was one of my team mates. The other one was unknown to me. He was running in counter flow. I know I was going to meet him face to face so I slowed down a bit. I was seeing a tall and a well-built person. His arm and leg muscles were clearly defined as he jogged towards me. When we finally got to meet each other face to face, he gave a smile and I smiled back. Oh my! Who was that? I seemed to have lost stride and equilibrium. I almost tripped! He was fast and brisk as he went back to assist me. The mighty sun has slowly risen and because of what he did, I came up close to him. I thought I had my epiphany. I was looking at a face that was perfectly chiseled and his skin was dainty and silky. I got mesmerized for a moment only to wake up from that fleeting moment when he said, "Are you okay?" To which I retorted, "Yes I am!" 

“Let us run together,” he said. I just nodded. The sun is up and there were a lot of athletes already at the oval. He said his name was Joey. He was a newcomer in the school and he just came from Guam.  He was in the athletics team. But he said he will try-out with the soccer team too. I managed to stay grounded but I wanted to float like any teeny-weeny girl. Who would not when running beside you was a very handsome athlete who would soon to be the apple of everyone's eyes? 

I finished my rounds and joined the volleyball practice. I lost track of time as we seriously poured our strength in developing a strategy against our prospective opponents. It was my second year with the team and we had never won any championship since the tournament’s inception. I wanted to win this time so as to prop up my resume when I apply for athletic scholarship in college. I had a great feeling that this would be our time. 

Our practice finished off intensely. The zeal to win this year’s championship was so high. The team parted after a repartee from our coach. I walked towards the bicycle stand when I noticed someone was toweringly standing in front of it. It was Joey! There was a moment of hesitance for me to move forward but he was there flashing that winsome smile. I was captivated and unknowingly became a prisoner of this young man. I can only mutter the words: "What's up?" To which he jokingly answered: "The sun and the sky!" I could only laugh at the silliness of the situation. 

He invited me out for lunch. I took my bicycle and I was not surprised anymore when he rode on the other bike! We followed the road out of the sports oval towards the side street that went directly to the town plaza. I could see my favorite cafe and from afar, I can see the emblazoned name Esperanza.  Near the cafe is the St. William the Hermit Cathedral. Just in front of the sidewalk are parking spaces wherein we could park our bikes. I placed a lock as I put a chain to one of the steels where we can safely park our bikes. He did the same. While doing that, I peeped into the cafe. There was not much customers that time but on Sundays the sidewalk and the place were usually teeming with people and different activities. As a consequence the cafe was filled to a brim. 

We entered the cafe and chose the easternmost and farthest table. As I prepare to sit, he pulled the chair to give me ease. The waiter approached us and since this was one of my favorite cafes, I already had an idea of what to order. I ordered Sphaghetti tetrazini and garlic bread. I also loved the cream puff of the place; I ordered two pieces of it. Since he is new to the cafe, I was not surprised he ordered the same like mine. 

As we were waiting for our orders, I peered into his eyes. His eyes were deep hazel brown - so soulful. I felt being lifted imaginably. I wanted to enjoy those gaze further but he already caught my eyes. He asked if there was something wrong with him, to which I retorted there was none. He flashed those engaging smile again and those pearly white teeth came out. I was lost in my own dissonance. He started to give out a hearty laugh. He told me I was not different from anybody he met so far. I blushed, then blushed and blushed some more. I was so embarrassed that I covered my face. He apologized. He told me he needed my help. 

Joey is a transferee on his last year of high school. And he needed to undergo a validation examination which will be given in two weeks. If he failed the examination he would be placed to the corresponding year level of his score and he will not graduate.  I was surprised why he approached me but according to him, our co-athletes recommended me to him. According to them I am the only athlete that had maintained a good academic standing.  I asked him “what does he need from me”? He told me to tutor him. I looked at him in his eyes and he looked at me too and he smiled. I felt captivated. I felt I would be entering a trap. It was a trap that I was very much willing to enter. I would love to be a prisoner of this man. 

4 (na) komento:

  1. I felt the angst. Although you know it's fiction there is the feeling that most were taken from real life. The high school experience is basically felt. The town description and the cafe were for real. Somehow, Joey and Siglat breathe life to a love story in the '70s. :-)

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. The real story to this that Joey dropped Siglat forever and ever. I just thought of putting a twist and end the never ending longing of Siglat for Joey. She has not moved on ever since. -)

      Burahin
  2. I got a knockdown with this love story. There are parallelisms with your story "Ang Kahapon sa Ngayon" and this one. The first love story was situated in the Cordillera. I know you situated it in Sagada where you found your first Shangrila. I was wondering why you made a fictional magical town when Sagada still spells magic to many. In this second love story, you used Guam as your backdrop. I would love to see you write with Micronesia, Marshalls and Fiji as your backdrops in your stories. I love the way you use the places where you have been in your stories. Keep writing.

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. You truly know me my friend. I wish to write more as you have wished. Here's to more power ahead of us. Ciao!

      Burahin

ARINGAY TOURISM WEBSITE TESTING

We are presently testing the Aringay Tourism Website. Please visit and we appreciate your comments. https://aringaytourism.site123.me