Miyerkules, Setyembre 20, 2017

IN MOMENTS OF BLISS -4

©Mallari 2017
written by Rolando Q. Mallari

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. The characters, the storyline, the location are all culled from the imagination. Any similarity to real life and place are purely coincidental.


IV

My New Me



I underwent several tests after my operations. I took examinations on mathematics, science, physics, English and abstract reasoning. It seems that my memory for these subject matters were intact. Although I passed my high school, to test my mental capabilities, I took an aptitude test for graduating high school students and I passed. It was a wonder for everyone but I thank the Lord for not taking away everything from me. I continued to read books and eventually I wanted to go to college. I challenged the entrance examinations of three leading universities of the country and I passed all of them. I selected the school in Quezon City for the academic freedom that it espouses. I took up Bachelor of Science in Psychology and while at the College I joined the volleyball try-outs. My interest in the game seems to be deeply rooted. I get to watch the college team games and unknowingly I lined-up and get listed for the try-outs. During the try-outs, the volleyball trainer and coach assigned us different roles in the game. I was assigned to be a spiker together with one tall girl in the team try-outs. When the ball was tossed, we jumped together and accidentally bumped high up there. I had a bad fall and there was a severe and excruciating pain in my left thigh. I momentarily lost my consciousness. I woke up in the college infirmary surprised with so many people around. I searched for the person that I have longed for and I realized that I have my memory back. During my therapy sessions, I decided that I continue with I am doing now. I opted to sidestep the memories of the past. I don’t want to dwell on them as everything has come to pass.

After acquiring my college degree, I pursued a degree of Medicine. Eleven years from the accident, I am now a doctor pursuing medical research. I was to present a research paper in Guam. I took advantage to take Jeremy with me. My son is now 10 years old, Jeremy had grown to be more like Joey. The color of his eyes and hair and the shape of his face were definitely that of his father.

The flight to Guam was unremarkable. We followed the line for visitors and I was shocked to realize that the immigration officer examining my arrival papers was Joey. I knew that face. I wanted to change my line but Jeremy and I were already in front of him. He glanced at me and Jeremy so intently. Then he asked, "What's your reason in entering Guam Ma'am?" I retorted "I am presenting a medical paper to the Guam Medical Society.”

Who is with you?, he asked. I countered, "I am with my son!"

Son?, he quipped. "Yes, my son. I had him when I was 17," I answered.

Where are you staying in Guam?, he asked further. I answered back, "I will be staying at the Dusit Thani Hotel Guam Resort."

How long will you be staying here?,was his other question? I customarily answered, 7 days Sir!

Then he looked at me and then turned his face to Jeremy, then said, "Welcome to Guam!" He handed our passports and return tickets. I know the questions were customary but why do I get these feeling that there was more to it! I turned around, he was looking at us! 





Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

ARINGAY TOURISM WEBSITE TESTING

We are presently testing the Aringay Tourism Website. Please visit and we appreciate your comments. https://aringaytourism.site123.me